Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Fill in the blank

I haven't been playing much on the PC lately, partially because I was out of town for the weekend and partially because I just don't have any PC games I'm really excited about. I decided to pick back up Chrono Trigger for the DS, a game that I had originally received for Christmas and just sort of stopped playing a few months ago. I'll probably writeup a full post on the game later, but for now I want to discuss one of the games "features:" the ability to change the names of the characters.

In case any of you are not familiar with the game, when a character joins your party, the game gives you the ability to change the characters name. I guess it's really just giving you the ability to set the name of the character, but in a couple of instances, the game has previously referred to him by his "real" name. For instance, early on you meet a character named Marle who later joins your party. At that time, it brings up the name screen and allows you to put in whatever you want, with Marle being already filled in as the default. I have NO idea why this feature exists. I can just imagine a conversion between two tweens back in the early 90's when this was released:

Tween1: Wow! I love the fire attack that Accul has when you combine it with Elram's ice.
Tween2: Umm... you mean Lucca and Marle?
Tween1: No. Accul and Elram.
Tween2: You're an idiot.

See? Recipe for confusion.

Okay, I think perhaps I'm missing the real beauty of this: Chrono Trigger madlibs! I think I should play through the game again after having set all the characters names to various body parts with the word "My" infront of them. Then perhaps I could have seen comments like this:

MyFace: We must follow MyNose!
MyLeg: I can't believe MyKnee is gone...
MyButt: I have an amazing fire attack!

And so forth. Two words: Comedy. Gold.

Well, that's all for now. I have to go see if I can use Maginicus, Amphibio, and Anaylium to finally save Cronicial... or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment