Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Why I quit playing Champions Online

The title is perhaps a bit inaccurate, because as of right now, I am technically still playing it. However, I have already canceled my subscription, and I'm fairly certain I won't be changing my mind. So the lingering question: why have I done this? The answer: lack of content.

My main character in Champions Online is Scry of Newt, a healer/dps hybrid character that combines darkness/force/sorcery/telepathy powers to heal and buff and provide some minor dps required. He is just a couple bars short of level 28 right now (40 is the level cap), and has been played nearly exclusively as a duo with Draenoth's Dual Blade martial artist of death.

At this point, we have done EVERY quest in the game up to where we are (as far as we know anyway). Take a moment for that to sink in. We've gone out our way to look for drop quests, out of the way quest givers (which there are definitely WAY too many), and we've even completed all the group content up to where we are. So at level 27, we've completed all the quests the game has to offer, and all the rest of the quests in our list are level 29 (other than 2 level 28, 5 man group quests). If that seems a little broken to you, that's because it is. If you to start a character in WoW, you'd have a choice of as many as 4 different areas to level up in (per side!), although admittedly that number drops a bit as you progress. However, even in Northrend, an average character could get to level cap and have two full zones left to quest in. I should also point out, that this is not the first time while playing Champions that this has happened to us. At level 23, we were doing nothing but level 25 quests. I've also read that this problem actually gets WORSE in the early 30's.

In short, Champions has between 1/3 and 1/4 of the content that it should have launched with. While it is still new, and it'll *probably* get more content over time, all it will ever really do is get up to the amount that it should have had initially.

While the costly respecs are definitely something that still annoys me, they are pretty easy to get over in comparison to this. Not only do I not have content to do with my main, but I have no desire to roll an alt, as I'll have to do all the exact same quests over again that I already did.

Perhaps it'll eventually get to a point where there is enough content to not have leveling gaps and map alts viable, but by the time that happens, I'll have been long gone for quite some time.

Despite my quibbles, I've enjoyed the last few weeks I've spent playing Champions. Expect a full review in the next week or so.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to say, I agree completely. I've enjoyed playing alongside you these past weeks, but there just isn't enough there. Not having multiple zones and an abundance of quests is just stupid for an MMO, I don't see how anyone will stay past the first month or two when there is nothing to do.

    Such a shame, because I enjoy the idea of a superhero MMO, and the mechanics of this one are pretty solid (except those hold moves, I HATE those :) ). But there just isn't anything to make me play longer than the free month.

    ReplyDelete