Saturday, February 6, 2010

Power Calc Version 1

When I switched from Windows XP to Windows Vista, the only thing I found that I missed that I couldn't bring forward was the brilliant Power Calculator contained in the PowerToys bundle. The calculator was easy to use, loaded fast, and was just a huge improvement over the built in Windows calculator. I took it upon myself to write a replacement calculator for a couple of reasons:
  1. I had been looking for a C# project for a while
  2. I wanted something super light weight and fast
  3. I wanted it to do EXACTLY what I wanted it to do
Power Calc was born a while later. I've made a few tweaks to it over the last handful of months and I'm pretty happy with the current version.

Features:
  • It stores every result in a variable ($1, $2, etc), you can use that variable in future calculation, e.g. $1 + $2 + 3838.

  • You can use the up and down arrows to pull in previously entered equations.

  • If you start an expression with a standard operation (+,-,/,* currently), it will automatically pull in the last result.

  • You can store values in variables and use them later. Type in "x=3", press enter, then do "9*x" and you'll get the result you expect.
Caveats:
  • The software requires the .NET framework (unsure which version exactly), but most people have that these days, so go download it if you don't.

  • The licenses involved (both mine and for the features I used) can be found in the included README.txt file.
Installation Instructions:
  • Download the file from FileDen.com here: http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/2/6/2752189/PowerCalc.zip

  • Extract the zip file and run the setup.exe file.

  • Ignore the certificate warning; I couldn't be bothered trying to get that straightened out.

  • The application should now be searchable in your Start Menu if you just type in "Power Calc." (Unsure where it installs it quite honestly; let me know if you figure it out).

  • To uninstall, merely visit Programs and Features in the Control Panel and remove it there.
I'd love to get any and all feedback that people would have. I'd also be very receptive to any feature requests. You'll quickly notice that I didn't implement the unit conversions or the graphing features from the PowerToy version, don't bother asking for them as they just aren't features I would ever use or care about.

No comments:

Post a Comment